Former President Donald Trump is giving a speech to the Republican Party of North Carolina’s annual convention on Saturday evening.
The former president appears at the event in Greenville, North Carolina.
Mr. Trump kicked off his political comeback with a speech at the right-wing Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) event in Florida in February.
He is also expected to address a CPAC event in Texas next month, and his aides have talked about him possibly holding rallies in Florida, Georgia and Ohio over the summer.
“It’s great to be back in Greenville with so many proud, North Carolina patriots who love our country, support our military, respect our police, honor our flag and always put America first, we don’t put America second,” Trump said as he opened his speech. “As we gather tonight, our country is being destroyed before our very own eyes.”
Trump’s supporters gathered early in the day outside the Greenville Convention Center, some carrying “Trump 2020” flags while others were already displaying “Trump 2024: I’ll Be Back” banners. Many wore “Trump won” hats, being sold outside the arena. About 1,200 attendees were expected in the room for Trump’s speech. The NCGOP said it was the single-largest fundraiser in the group’s history.
Trump: We’re Going to Take Back White House ‘Sooner Than You Think’
“We’re going to take back the Senate, we’re going to take back the House, and we’re going to take back the White House sooner than you think,” Trump said in a video circulating on Twitter before his North Carolina GOP Conference speech Saturday night.
“It’s going to be really something special. But the love and the affection and the respect you’ve given all of us, it’s really important.
“The Republican Party is strong than it’s ever been, and it’s going to be a lot strong than it is right now.”
Here are key points of Trump speech in North Carolina:
- “We are going to take back our country and take it back at a level that is very good for our country and our citizens, we cannot let bad things happen to our country and bad bad things are happening to us perhaps like never before”
- “Our country is being destroyed before our very own eyes, crime is exploding, police departments are being ripped apart and defunded.”
- “They (Democrats) are vicious, they are violent, in many cases they hate our country and they have bad policy, but the bad newsroom out standpoint is they stick together, that is the one thing they have.
- “We are going to have a tremendous 2022 like we did frankly in 2020, more votes than any sitting President in the history of the us . We had a great election, bad things happened but we had great election.”
- “We are going to win North Carolina’s all important US Senate race and lay the groundwork to make sure Republicans carry the great state of North Carolina in a year I look forward to, 2024,” said Mr Trump.
- “We are going to do numbers you have never seen before. I stand before you today confident that the people of North Carolina will decisively reject Joe Biden and the radical Democrats.”
During the speech Mr Trump’s daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, announced that she would not run for the state’s US Senate seat.
Instead, Mr Trump announced that he was endorsing congressman Ted Budd “as your next senator.”