Afghan resistance has claimed to have captured three towns north of Kabul in fighting that “killed or injured 60 Taliban fighters”.
The Afghan people appear to have begun the process of taking matters into their own hands as the Biden administration continues to grapple with the fallout from the U.S. withdrawal.
On Friday, reports began to circulate that the Afghan flag had been hoisted once again in the Pol-e-Hesar, Deh Salah and Banu districts of Baghlan province after anti-Taliban resistance fighters recaptured the localities.
Newsweek reported that about 60 Taliban fighters were injured in the fighting that proceeded these small victories, while the Afghan outlet Asvaka News Agency reported that “a number” of Taliban were killed.
Earlier in the day, the Indian outlet Republic World reported that Pol-e-Hesar had been freed from Taliban control while an “intense fight” was underway in Deh Salah and Banu.
However, according to Newsweek, there was some confusion over whether the districts had been recaptured, and the situation on the ground in Banu and Deh-e-Salah remained “fluid” as of Friday’s report.
The Taliban only took control of the Baghlan province capital, Pul-e-Khumri, ten days ago, marking the start of what would turn out to be a swift and successful military campaign across the country.
Resistance commander Abdul Hamid said the militia was advancing toward the Khenhan district and “will capture Baghlan province,” according to reporter Tajuden Soroush of the London-based Persian outlet Iran International.
Writing in Persian, Afghan Defence Minister General Bismillah Mohammadi said the three areas had been reclaimed, adding: “The resistance is still alive.”
Afghans have been fighting among themselves for decades and appear to continue doing so whether or not U.S. forces are present.